YouthRock has been a key focus event of Youth Week in NSW since 2000. YouthRock has evolved from a local band competition run by Belmore Boys High School, to a state-wide talent search with winners including Silverchair, Alex Lloyd and 2009 Australian Idol runner up Hayley Warner.
YouthRock provides an opportunity for high school students to create and enjoy entertainment and to acknowledge and celebrate the positive contributions made by their efforts and achievements, one of the key objectives of Youth Week. It also showcases student bands to the music industry.
The competition is judged by music and recording industry representatives. The music and recording industry also provides more than $10,000 worth of prizes to the finalists.
YouthRock 2016 will be held over five days at the Sutherland Entertainment Centre:
Semi Final 1 Wednesday 13 April 7.00pm – 11.00pm
Semi Final 2 Thursday 14 April 7.00pm – 11.00pm
Semi Final 3 Friday 15 April 7.00pm – 11.00pm
Semi Final 4 Saturday 16 April 5.00pm – 9.00pm
GRAND FINAL Sunday 17 April 3.00pm – 7.00pm
Congratulations to In Motion from Hunter River High School on winning YouthRock 2015! This alternative rock band featured Daniel Ennis (Guitar), Jack Davis (Drums) and Lachlan Fisher (Bass & Vocals).
The prizes up for grabs in Youth Rock 2016 include:
- $1,000 worth of Marshall Amplifier Product from Turramurra Music and Marshall
- $1,000 worth of Zoom Professional Product from from Dynamic Music
- 5 days Recording Studio Time at Mainstreet Studios
- A Professional Photoshoot by David Lefcovitcz
- $750 worth of Legal Advice from Brett Oaten Solicitors
- A Gig booked by Australia’s #1 booking agency, The Harbour Agency
- Quarter page ad in THE MUSIC
The on-line application process is now open and closes at 5:00pm on Friday 18 March 2016. Applications for YouthRock 2016 can be accessed at https://nswcommunities.smartygrants.com.au/YouthRock2016